Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A little bit of this, a little bit of that

We have came along way from the beginning days of public libraries and the use of a catalog box to find a book. Now most of the population has Kindle on their phones or some other way to read an electronic book. I think the advancement of technology can go either way good or bad. 




The benefits of new technology for example would be the saving of trees. By using the internet to read books and take test on we save a large amount of paper. If we were still printing lots of hard copy books millions of trees would be killed. Another reason is reading a book on the computer or on a phone is so much faster. You can instantly uploading your favorite book and there are even book marks that hold the place you left off. Also the price of an online book is way cheaper than that of a printed one in a book store. When you buy a paper book there is also a chance that we loose it, drop it in water or loan it to that friend who never returns anything. It's more of a hassle to keep up with paper books.



The first semester of college I purchased an online textbook from Course Smart. I made the decision to buy online because it was much cheaper than the cost of a hard copy book. It was my speech class book and all I have to do was download the book shelf from Course Smart and it will always be on my computer to store other books. Next I used a credit card and downloading the Speech book and it only took a few minutes. Basically in the click of a few buttons I had my book. I didn't have to go to the bookstore of have it shipped to me it was so easy.


Although there are downsides to technology. I think we need to have a little bit of both new and old in the world. I think its important that we keep paper books around for many reasons. One reason is older books that are now longer printed must be saved so that the new generation can still read them. Paper books will always be here if technology fails. There is nothing we can do when our computers shut down and we are unable to get to our online books. One thing I was always worried about with my online text book was that my computer would crash and I would have no way to read my speech book. With a paper book its there no matter what unless you loose it or its burned.






I get very unset when I hear about people wanting to burn and get rid of paper books. I like the new technology we have created but that by no way means that we should destroy paper books. 




We need to continue to print paper and have virtual books. A little bit of both paper and digital is a good balance. Lets welcome the future advancements, but we also need to support paperback books and remember to value our past ways as well.  



2 comments:

  1. How did you like the downloaded textbook? I've been thinking about doing that, but I fear I might be a little attached to having a hardcopy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One major plus of Ebooks I feel is the portability of them. With the size of textbooks many times in high school, and sometimes now, I choose not to lug around three or four books for every class. With an E-reader I could always have everything there, and not have to worry about a teacher pulling a fast one and finally using that expensive textbook for only the second time this semester.

    ReplyDelete