Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Do you see what I see?


Semiotics is all about how our society views signs. how we interpret a sign may be different than how other people take it. See we are used to our countries way of communication. From example we know to stop when we drive up to a red light, but in another country that may be a signal to go. Wouldn't that be awful if there wasn't an orderly way to understand and follow directions. Problems would be inevitable, fights would be breaking out left and right.



Semiotic definition of "sign"

The sign (or word) is made up of two parts, a signifier (the acoustic image) and a signified (the mental concept). 



Do you know the meaning of these signs?

t



What if a person from another country was having a heart attack and was in desperate need of a Doctor?
Would they be able to find the hospital?

When you think about it, it's quick interesting that we just know how to interpret signs at least the one's here in the U.S. I can't recall ever having to ask what a sign meant or how to find the restroom sign, I just knew.







Above is an example of a foreign sign

I have no clue what this means...anyone want to take a guess?
I guess in this country I would be out of luck.



Luckily we don't have a problem with this sign ^... at least not that I'm aware of!




1 comment:

  1. I really like how you pointed out that we group certain images and words together through semiotics. It's a very interesting concept to me. Your pictures really helped convey your message!

    ReplyDelete